About the Meeting
This talk will be given by Ian McKeever, based on his paper (click here for link) on pension freedoms, and provides a different take on the problem of investment after retirement.
- For someone retiring today, dying earlier than expected is not a financial problem but dying later than expected is. They need an investment time horizon of 30 years plus.
- As Winston Churchill once said, “The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” A look at the history of equity markets and equity dividends.
- A strategy using equity dividends to provide a level income in retirement. How it would have fared in the past?
- Inflation. For the working population, inflation is like a broken arm; painful at the time but eventually one recovers. For the retired, it is like a brain tumour, the damage is permanent, and any recovery is at best marginal. Inflation in the past and how much protection equity dividends provided.
- Longevity risk. Annuities: poor investment; good longevity insurance.
- Managing divestment in volatile markets. Resurrecting annuity shares.
- Practical issues of portfolio construction for a retiree investing directly, diversification, future proofing, international investment and withholding tax.
- Product design issues for the Financial Services Industry.
Please arrive at 5.30pm to sign-in before a 6pm start.
Sandwiches and drinks will be served after the talk.
(VIRTUAL) IFRS 17 (6-7.30PM)
An IFRS 17 presentation on latest market insight based on real implementation examples.
Zoom (Virtual event)
SIAS Annual Dinner 2021
SIAS looks forward to seeing you at the 2021 Annual Dinner!