About the Meeting
This talk will be given by Ian McKeever, based on his paper (click here for link) on pension freedoms, and provides a different take on the problem of investment after retirement.
- For someone retiring today, dying earlier than expected is not a financial problem but dying later than expected is. They need an investment time horizon of 30 years plus.
- As Winston Churchill once said, “The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” A look at the history of equity markets and equity dividends.
- A strategy using equity dividends to provide a level income in retirement. How it would have fared in the past?
- Inflation. For the working population, inflation is like a broken arm; painful at the time but eventually one recovers. For the retired, it is like a brain tumour, the damage is permanent, and any recovery is at best marginal. Inflation in the past and how much protection equity dividends provided.
- Longevity risk. Annuities: poor investment; good longevity insurance.
- Managing divestment in volatile markets. Resurrecting annuity shares.
- Practical issues of portfolio construction for a retiree investing directly, diversification, future proofing, international investment and withholding tax.
- Product design issues for the Financial Services Industry.
Please arrive at 5.30pm to sign-in before a 6pm start.
Sandwiches and drinks will be served after the talk.
SIAS Online Pub Quiz 2021
It's that time of year again and what better way to start the New Year than with the SIAS online pub quiz! This year with COVID its not possible to hold the event at a pub. On the plus side you c...
SIAS best exam mark competition
IFoA exam results will be announced on 15th/17th December and the best mark for each IFoA exam passed (excluding CT9) during the Sept/Oct 2020 sitting will be rewarded with a £50 Amazon voucher and...
(VIRTUAL) Practical Actuarial Data Science: An experience analysis case study by Actuartech
This presentation aims to show the actual understanding of experience for an in-force book using life insurance data. The presentation will show each step from importing and cleaning, model buildin...