Who we are
With over 5,000 members, SIAS is proud to be UK's biggest actuarial society.
A committee of 15 dedicated volunteers run the day-to-day activities of SIAS. We run exciting social events such as our annual boat party, our SIAS Ball, poker tournaments, pub quizzes and many more. We take our professional development seriously too, with various talks hosted throughout the year. Our main aims are to:
- Support the professional interests of junior members of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA), particularly students and those with up to five years post-qualification experience; and
- Act as the regional actuarial society for London and South East England.
On 01 July 2017, our business was transferred into the newly established Staple Inn Actuarial Society Limited, a company limited by a guarantee.
This move better manages any personal liability resulting from the societies’ activities and makes contracting with other companies simpler. Our registration documents are:
- Certificate of incorporation
- Memorandum of Association
- Articles of Association
- Full incorporation images
Want to know more?
Find out more about us by clicking through the various tabs at the top of this page!
Development opportunities throughout the year
We arrange a selection of talks throughout the year for members and non-members. These cover a range of subjects of interest to the actuarial profession - from the latest technical research to discussions about the future of the profession.
Look out for our annual Jubilee lecture in October. We also host an annual Evolution conference, aimed at nearly and newly-qualified actuaries.
Details on all of our events can be found here
Meet other actuaries and broaden your network
We have a range of social events throughout the year, giving you regular opportunities to network with fellow actuaries and members of the actuarial community.
In recent years, socials have included boat parties, cocktail-making classes, samba nights and adult ballpits!
The highlight of our calendar is undoubtedly the Annual Dinner & Ball held in November. Make sure you book your tickets fast for this sell-out event!
Giving back to our community
We are proud to partner with The Brokerage CityLink, with whom we provide introductory sessions about the actuarial profession to inner city sixth form students in London.
These sessions help to raise awareness of the actuarial profession and its work, while providing actuaries with an opportunity to develop their presentation skills. Contact the Charity sub-committee if you would like further details on the various volunteering opportunities open to SIAS members.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. SIAS works closely with the IFoA, but membership of one organisation does not automatically make you a member of the other.
IFoA members can renew their SIAS membership through the SIAS website or through the IFoA website when renewing IFoA membership.
Non-IFoA members (such as members of other international actuarial organisations, or university students) can activate membership through the SIAS website.
For membership through the IFoA website:
- IFoA members should see an option to add SIAS membership when renewing their IFoA membership. This is done by renewing your membership on the IFoA website.
- IFoA members who do not see an option for SIAS membership when renewing their IFoA membership should contact us on email@example.com.
For membership through the SIAS website, please follow this registration link
Your membership account on sias.org.uk helps you get the best out of your SIAS membership.
Use your membership account to:
- Register for events and purchase tickets
- Buy tickets on behalf of other SIAS members
- Take part in discussions and blog posts on the SIAS website
- Access members-only documents and presentations on the website.