About the Meeting
This meeting has now taken place - the audio and slides are below:
Most insurers and reinsurers – across all lines of business – are increasingly active in the area of Big Data. Much of what has been written on this topic thus far has focused on the analytic techniques or on the varieties of data – from facial imaging to fitbits. But little has been published on the fundamentals of how we go about the analytics, and how we extract value and interpret results effectively. Our presentation will look at the generally hidden fundamentals – for instance, the nature of patterns and information, the validity of significance testing, the limitations of analytic and Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques, and the implications of big data and AI on data privacy. The session is aimed at all actuaries with an interest in data analytics.
- Matthew Edwards leads the life underwriting risk / analytics team in the life insurance practice at Willis Towers Watson, and was lead author of the 2012 SIAS paper ‘The Philosophy of Modelling’
- Rachael McNaughton is a data scientist in the advanced analytics team at Willis Towers Watson, and has spoken at a number of actuarial conferences in Australia, Europe and the US on machine learning and big data in an insurance context.
Please register only through the Metooo site via the link below
SIAS Plays Board Games 2020
SIAS invites you to the mother of all games nights! From those games you played as a child, to games for the more serious gamers; this night is guaranteed to bring out your competitive side.
Draughts Waterloo, 16 Leake Street, London, SE1 7NN
The talk will cover:
• Why cyber security is regarded as the top threat to businesses (Allianz Risk Barometer 2019)
• What is causing the shift in threat landscape
• Who is attacking, why, and h...
Staple Inn, London, WC1V 7QJ
How we relate to others at work, whether they are colleagues, clients, prospective clients or other business contacts is key to individual career progression and business performance. People buy pe...